Monday, March 24, 2008

Happy Easter!!!




We went to a Easter Egg Hunt in my parents neighborhood on Saturday. It was fun. It lasted all of 30 seconds but what do you expect with 50+ kids chasing after eggs that were basically just thrown out on a lawn. The kids love it though. I realized on the way home as I talked with Addison about the reason we celebrate Easter, that I as a parent haven't done my part to help my kids truely understand what Easter is all about. I got the typical "It's about a bunny that brings eggs filled with treats to kids who are good" answer from her. Noah seemed to understand a little bit more than her but still all he said was that "It's about Jesus dying". I took the next few moments to try my best to explain the Resurrection and the Atonement to them in hopes that they would understand that the Easter Bunny is just something the world does and has nothing to do with our religion or beliefs. So then I got the question "Is the Easter Bunny not real?" I told them he wasn't and they seemed to be ok with it. Long story short, I had some angry parents on my hands Sunday after church. My kids took it upon themselves to tell their class that the Easter Bunny wasn't real and that "your mom and dad bring you the eggs". I felt bad for a half a second. I hope that my children continue to learn about how Jesus did die for us and that He was resurrected and lives today. He died so that we can repent of our sins and faults and be forgiven of them. We can use the Atonement in our lives to eventually return to live with Him and our Heavenly Father. I will probably still take my kids to the traditional Egg Hunt every year but I will feel good in knowing that they know why we "really celebrate Easter".

6 comments:

amy said...

What a great story! I agree that sometimes these figures that the world has created overshadow the true meaning of the holidays we celebrate. Your a good mom for setting it straight! The kids look cute in their Easter outfits.

Cameron Family said...

What cute kids you have in their Easter outfits! Looks like a good time was had by all of them! It is true, the eggs go very quickly! Also what a good oppoorunity to teach your kids the real meaning of Easter! We are still teaching Primary so it is fun to teach on Easter Sunday.

The Crazy Clawson's said...

i love that you are such a good mom i hope i am more like that...

Reeses Pieces said...

You do realize that your daughter is gorgeous right? I can't get over how pretty she is. I know Nate probably hates to hear this, but your kids are all Biggerstaff!!!

Jeff & Melissa said...

What a cute family... I need your email, going private on the blog.

Naomi said...

Love your kids Easter outfits. Waaaaayyyyy tooo cute! Your such a cute mommy making sure they know the real meaning of Easter. Tried explaining to Ethan but it was more like "Whatever, where's the chocolate!". Hmmmmm, will have to try a little harder next year.