Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Labor that wasn't!



So late Monday night I was feeling weird but no big deal right? I went to bed as usual. I kept having this shooting pain in my front that went down my right leg. So I waited to see if it would go away and being anxious I worked myself up and couldn't sleep. So I told Nate just stay asleep, don't wake anyone up yet, let me just go get checked at the hospital, I will call you when I know something. Long story short I got to the hospital and was dialated to a 4. They watched me for an hour and I went to a 5. So at 2 a.m. they admitted me. I wasn't quite 36 weeks which is considered pre-term. So I was having contractions, however not painful or regular. I waited and waited and the Dr. came and checked me at 7 a.m. and I hadn't really changed so he said let's wait 1 more hour and see if you change. So at 8 a.m. I was at a 6. You would think I was in LABOR right? Still no pain, no active contractions. I stayed that way all day long. The nurses kept saying, we can't send you home at a 6, because I was dying of hunger and boredom and my tail bone hurt from the bed, I just wanted to go home. Finally at 10:30 p.m. the Dr. came back and checked me, still at a 6. He gave me a few choices, stay and have the baby which they would break my water and start me on pitocin, however because I am pre-term they didn't want the liablity if something was wrong with the baby so basically I had to sign something saying I wanted to deliver and take all responsibity. Next choice please... I chose to come home, risking the fact that I could go into hard labor any minute. I'm so glad I came home because look, it's now Thurs. I have to be on slight bed rest trying not to have a baby for at least one more week. Let's see if I can do it, Ha Ha. I can't sit still and watch my mom and mother-in-law do all my chores, it's weird. So stay posted, see how long Katie Harward can stay in LABOR with-out delivering.

7 comments:

Reeses Pieces said...

Oh that stinks. I'm sure part of you wanted to sign those papers. That would be so hard. Hang in there. Can't wait to hear more details and happy baby news!

Cori said...

good luck! I am thinking about you. love you!

lacey said...

I read this a day or so ago and checked back in today thinking FOR CERTAIN there would be an update with the arrival of your baby. Oh, for your sake, I hope he is here and you just haven't gotten to blogging about it. I hope to see a picture soon.

amy said...

I was just thinking about you today and whether it was time for you to have your baby. Guess not :) Crazy you aren't in labor being at a 6. Can't wait to see pictures of the new little one! Do you hav a name yet?

Cuddly Bums Diapers said...

I was walking around at a 6 before I started active labor too! When I finally had real labor (2 weeks late) it was intense and fast. I had a 4 hour labor. I wish you the same!! (only earlier than 2 weeks late!) :)

brittanimae said...

Getting to 6 centimeters without pain has to be a good thing no matter how you look at it. And please, NO GUILT ALLOWED about watching other people do all the chores. It doesn't happen every day, so sit back and watch some Oprah!

Good luck--we can't wait to hear your news!!!

nielsen said...

Wow, I came looking for a picture of the new baby! I heard through the family vine that you were in labor at the hospital, which was obviously so, but not the ending I anticipated. I hope you are doing well and not going too crazy. It will be good for you to sit for a bit ;) I will keep checking back to see how you are doing... we can't wait for the baby news!